IRI will present a panel at the 14th International Conference Computers, Privacy and Data Protection – CPDP 2021 Enforcing Rights in a Changing World — Wednesday 27 January 2021 (11.45am)
DATA PROTECTION BY DESIGN AND BY DEFAULT IN THE POST-COVID WORLD
Organised by The Swedish Law and Informatics Research Institute (IRI)
- Moderator Liane Colonna, The Swedish Law and Informatics Research Institute (IRI), Stockholm University (SE)
- Cecilia Magnusson Sjöberg, The Swedish Law and Informatics Research Institute (IRI), Stockholm University (SE);
- Athena Bourka, European Union Agency for Cybersecurity (ENISA) (EU);
- Achim Klabunde, Advisor to the Supervisor on Data Protection and Technology (EPDS) (EU)
- Jade Bui, Norwegian Data Protection Authority (NO)
Data Protection by Design and by Default (DPbDD) refers to the design and existence of embedded measures and safeguards and mechanisms that effectively protect thepersonal data protections principles, the rights and the freedoms of the data subject to data protection throughout the processing lifecycle of an application, service or product. In many ways, DPbDD can be seen as the sleeping giant of the GDPR: the entire burden of compliance hinges on this article where the data controller must design appropriate technological and organizational measures to address not just the core data protection principles listed in Article 5 but also the rights and the freedoms of the data subject and the requirements of the GDPR in general. This panel will consider the scope and enforcement of Article 25, particularly in the context of the pandemic and in the post-pandemic context. The discussion will cover issues including:
- What are the specific roles, responsibilities and liabilities of controllers, processors, hardware and software providers etc. when it comes to implementing this legal requirement?
- What does the concept of “the state of the art” mean and, who should be responsible for driving it?
- How should controllers demonstrate the effectiveness of a safeguard or measure?
- What is the relationship between AI and DPbDD?
More information on CPDP 2021: https://www.cpdpconferences.org